Earlier stories with details about the rumors & hoped-for features:
1. Apple Tablet Challenge to Kindle Delayed, It's Said - August 19, 2009
2. Apple Tablet announced early Sept? Yr-end release? - August 14, 2009
9to5Mac's Seth Weintraub reports yesterday that the Taiwan Economic News carried some parts information on Apple's possible Tablet. I first saw this reported on teleread.org and the image is from the 9to5Mac story.
The Taiwan Economic News story by Steve Chuang reports that Apple will launch "its newest tablet PCs (curiously worded) next February" and that
"The tablet PC features a 9.6-inch screen, finger-touch function and built-in HSPDA (high speed download packet access) module, and adopts a P.A. SEMI processor chip and long lasting battery pack, selling for between US$799 and US$999."That would be before any Web data-access charges.
Firms specifically mentioned include:
1. DynaPack International Technology Corp.- "has been exclusively contracted to supply up to 300,000 units of long lasting battery packs a month."
2. Wanshih Electronic Co., Ltd. "is expected to absorb around 70% of Apple`s orders for mini coaxial cables for the tablet PCs."
3. "...Layers Scientific-Technics Co., Ltd. and Wintek Corp. will supply power chokes and touch panels, respectively..."
A commenter points out that the pricing seems logical because ""Without contract (monthly fees), an iPhone 3GS 32GB costs 675 € [$986 U.S.] (in Belgium."
CNNMoney/Fortune-Brainstorm Tech's Philip Elmer-DeWitt calls Steve Chuang "a reporter with a pretty good track record on the supply chain beat."
They also include some thoughts about the parts vendors.
Reaction to the rumored price-point ($800 to $1000 is not exactly enthusiastic. Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!