This would be primarily a performance enhancement or maintenance update, as they have recommended this update privately to Kindle owners who reported a glitch or two at times, Amazon is now making it available for download if you want to get it earlier than you would if waiting for it to be slowly distributed over wireless globally during the next few weeks.
They don't say what the update includes and they seldom do with the smaller updates. For now, their explanation is:
' Software version 2.5.7 includes performance improvements to software version 2.5. We welcome your feedback about this latest software version.
Please send us an e-mail. '
The Kindle Community forums already have reports that the Kindle seems faster to some who have tried it and that the screen contrast seems improved.
Instructions at their Update page are detailed, and for convenience I'll include the bulk of it here, but you should bookmark that page and also go there to see troubleshooting procedures if you don't see the update starting. The page also summarizes the new features of v2.5 when it first came out last summer.
' Applying Kindle Software Updates
If you have a software version prior to 2.5 [Andrys' note here: or up through 2.5.6], you can download the latest Kindle software update, version 2.5.7, to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle via USB.
To determine your Kindle software version, press the Home button, then press the Menu button. Navigate to "Settings" by moving the 5-way controller down, then press the 5-way controller to select. The version information is located at the bottom of the screen:
Here's how to download version 2.5.7:
- Determine which type of Kindle you have: Look at the first 4 digits of the serial number located on the back of your Kindle or from Home, select Menu, then Settings. On the Settings screen you will see the Kindle version at the bottom of the screen. If you see "Version Kindle 2.5" or earlier, please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle to the latest software.
Note: If your Kindle is in a cover, please follow the instructions that came with the cover to ensure you carefully remove your Kindle before attempting to check for the serial number on the back.
- Download your software: Visit the appropriate link below to download the Kindle 2.5.7 software update file directly to your computer:
[Andrys here: In the future, go to the Amazon Update page to do the downloads as they may update the files there again, later on.]
Kindle (U.S. Wireless): Download 2.5.7
Your serial number will start with "B002"
Kindle Free 3G: Download 2.5.7
Your serial number will start with "B003"
Kindle DX (US Wireless) : Download 2.5.7
Your serial number will start with "B004"
Kindle DX (Free 3G) : Download 2.5.7
Your serial number will start with "B005"
Kindle DX (Free 3G) Graphite: Download 2.5.7
Your serial number will start with “B009”
Software version 2.5.7 includes performance improvements to software version 2.5. We welcome your feedback about this latest software version. Please send us an e-mail.
- Transfer software to your Kindle: Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer to the Kindle drive. (The drive contains a number of folders - such as "audible," "documents," and "music" - and is typically displayed as a "device" icon).
- Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle is complete before disconnecting. After the file transfer is complete, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect Kindle from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.
- Start the software update: Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select "Settings." Press the Menu key again, and then select "Update Your Kindle." (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed.) Select "Ok" when prompted if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you will see "Your Kindle is Updating."
- Once the update is complete: Your Kindle will automatically restart the second time. When you go to the Settings page, you should notice “Version: Kindle 2.5.7” at the bottom of the screen. Once you see this, your update is completed. '
Kindle 3's (UK: Kindle 3's), DX Graphite
Check often: Temporarily-free late-listed non-classics or recently published ones
Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources. Top 100 free bestsellers.
Also, UK customers should see the UK store's Top 100 free bestsellers. Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!