Here's the announcement of the new Kindle Paperwhite 2 (6th generation) at the Kindle Forums this morning, which gives details in pure text form (bold-face emphases mine):
' Initial post: Sep 3, 2013 10:16:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author 1 hour ago
David A. - Forum Moderator says:
Today, we announced that the world's best-selling e-reader-Kindle Paperwhite-is getting even better. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers.
Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi + 3G are available for pre-order starting today at Amazon... Here's a list of all the changes and new features of the Kindle Paperwhite:
- New display technology with higher contrast-Kindle Paperwhite's display is the most advanced e-reader display ever constructed. Higher contrast and better reflectivity means whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, so the pages are virtually indistinguishable from a physical book. You won't find this level of contrast with any other e-reader display.
- Next generation built-in light-Guides light toward the surface of the display so you can read comfortably without eyestrain.
- New, 25% faster processor-Books open and pages turn faster for a seamless reading experience.
- New touch technology-19% tighter touch grid makes Kindle Paperwhite respond even more accurately to the smallest touches, while still avoiding accidental page turns.
- New Kindle Page Flip-Skim page-by-page, scan by chapter [!], or skip to the end of your book, all without losing your place. For example, it's now easy to quickly flip back and forth to that map of Beyond the Wall in A Dance With Dragons.
- New Goodreads Integration-Combines the world's largest e-reading community and the world's largest community of book lovers. Join over 20 million other readers and see what your friends are reading, share highlights, and rate the books you read with Goodreads on Kindle, available exclusively from Amazon.
- New Kindle FreeTime-Built-in parental controls have been extended to give parents a simple, engaging way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Hand-select books for your kids to read, and hand out achievement badges when they hit reading milestones. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, number of words looked up, badges earned and books finished.
- New Vocabulary Builder-Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
- New Smart Lookup-Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information about a word, character, topic or book via X-Ray and Wikipedia. For example, using an ordinary dictionary to look up "credit default swaps" in Michael Lewis' The Big Short would give the individual definitions of "credit," "default" and "swaps." Smart Lookup recognizes this is an important topic and phrase in the book, and gives you the correct definition of "credit default swaps" via X-Ray.
- New Kindle MatchBook-New benefit lets customers purchase Kindle editions of print books purchased from Amazon-past, present and future - for $2.99 or less. '
Update 3 Added notes: UK buyers will go to the same links as before, to get the new one. I've redone the current Kindles Global Listing.
The new WiFi Paperwhites will be released late September and the 3G in early November. Check the product pages for current actual-release dates.
Here's the U.S. product page for the 3G version of the Kindle Paperwhite.
The new model has the same dimensions, so buying new cases and covers won't be necessary.
[End of Update 3]
Ending it here, to let people know sooner. More details later, especially on the new Kindle MatchBooks feature, which offers (for $2.99 or less-- and some are free) Kindle versions of print books previously purchased new and from Amazon - info for customers, authors, publishers. The matching is done for print books you purchased, new, from Amazon since "1995 when Amazon first opened its online bookstore." And of course this holds for future print books too, depending on whether author and publisher join the Kindle MatchBook program.
For daily free ebooks, check the following links:
|Temporarily-free books - Non-classics |
UK: PubDate Popular
The Kindle Daily Deal
What is 3G? and "WiFi"? Battery Care
Highly-rated under $1,
|Most Popular Free K-Books|
U.S. & Int'l (NOT UK):
Top 100 free
Top 100 free
Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources.
USEFUL for your Kindle Keyboard (U.S. only, currently):
99c Notepad 1.1, 99c Calculator,
*Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE. Or click on the web browser's BACK button
Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!