The Kindle Forum has an announcement that Kindle for IOS, v4.4 is ready for download.
Here's a copy of the announcement (Any bolded emphases are mine).
' Initial post: Jul 29, 2014 1:41:40 PM PDT
Megan H. - Forum Moderator says:
(AMAZON) (AMAZON OFFICIAL)
We're pleased to announce the latest version of Kindle for iOS is now available in the Apple App Store.
What's New in Version 4.4?
Kindle for iOS Version 4.4 provides several customer-requested features that make sync and navigation easier.
* Sync to the most recent page read - Any books you are reading on Kindle for iOS will now sync to the most recent page read across all Kindle devices and/or reading apps registered to your Amazon account.
Customers can still manually sync to the furthest page read from the left navigation menu.
* Kindle Placeholders - Allow customers the freedom to explore other areas of the book without losing their current place. Jump directly to previous locations with "placeholders" on the progress bar.
* Notes Export - Studying for the next exam or writing the next term paper just got easier. Students can now export notes, highlights, and more to e-mail from their "Print Replica" textbooks, giving students easy access to their information.
* Performance and stability improvements
* Wikipedia Smart Lookup: Select a word and learn more from Wikipedia in the Info Card at the bottom of the page. '
Re the notes export
Remember that there's a way for you to export notes and highlights from any Kindle book, not just the "Print Replica" textbooks. Kindle-compatible device- or app owners have a personal, password-protected website that holds your annotations for each book. You can view them by your most recent highlights (which are grouped secondarily by book) or you can choose 'Books.'
You can copy (for emailing or personal logging) and print sections from these.
How the Placeholder feature works
In the Kindle Forum, Sonja S., a Forum Moderator explains:
' In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2014 7:22:18 AM PDT
Sonja S. - Forum Moderator says:
(AMAZON) (AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Hey Karen, a placeholder is a temporary bookmark, represented as a dot on the progress bar.
Placeholders mark the current location and the previous two locations visited.
The "oldest" placeholder disappears after a reader visits a third page.
Placeholders are added when navigating the book by any method other than page swipe.
When you jump to another page in the book - for example, with the help of annotations or table of contents - a placeholder is added to the progress bar.
Tapping this placeholder will return you to a previously visited page.
In this way, you can quickly jump back and forth between the current page you're reading and another page recently visited.
Note that these locations are stored locally on your device, and do not sync across devices.
Let us know how else we can help! '
Kindle reading-app Update - Where?
Go to the page for download instructions.
If you have iOS 6 or above, the normal steps listed there apply.
The page has an "Important" section for those who are still on iOS 5.
Check often: Temporarily-free recently published Kindle books
Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources. Top 100 free bestsellers. Liked-books under $1
UK-Only: recently published free books, bestsellers, or £5 Max ones
Also, UK customers should see the UK store's Top 100 free bestsellers.
*Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE. Or click on the web browser's BACK button Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!