SOFTWARE UPDATE v10.2.1 is here for the KINDLE FIRE 2 (the NON-HD one, for $159), and it automatically downloads and installs for most Kindle Fire 2 customers
The changes are the same as the Kindle Fire HD upgrade the other day, though it wasn't announced at the same time.
As mentioned earlier, those who don't want to wait can *start* the update from the Kindle Fire 2 (see the Kindle Fire2 update page for the various ways to get the update.
Version 10.2.1 includes the same (1) Kindle FreeTime feature; (2) a requested setting to opt in or out of personalized recommendations below the carousel on the Home page; and (3) the ability to set the default device language to one of six languages.
Here's the Amazon explanation as it appears at the update page:
' The software update will include:
- Kindle FreeTime, a tablet experience just for kids allowing parents to set daily screen time limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child.
- A setting so customers can control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage.
- Ability for customers to set the default device language to one of six languages, including English (US), English (UK), German, French, Italian, and Spanish. '
Thanks to FJ for the alert on this yesterday.
To OPT OUT OF PERSONALIZED RECOMMENDATIONS
Do the following on the Kindle Fire HD or Kindle Fire 2:KINDLE for WINDOWS 8 and UPDATE for KINDLE for ANDROID Catching up here, as these are now two days "old" in a fast world, and so I've used a red font for them. You can read about each of these and download them and check others you may be needing at the Free Reading Apps page.
- Go to the 'Home' screen.
- Swipe down (lightly pressing and pulling down) from the top of the screen.
- That gets you the Quick Settings Menu.
- Click on "More" at the top right.
- Go down the Settings list to "Applications" and lightly tap that.
- Go down that list and select "Amazon Home Recommendations" to choose either to "Show or "Hide" the Recommendations under the Carousel when the Kindle Fire is held in Portrait mode. You can later re-set it to 'Show' if you decide you'd like to see recommendations briefly (usually based on the book in the middle of the carousel items showing).
- When finished, press the back button on the right edge, center.
EARLIER posts on Kindle Fire HD
- Comparison reviews of the Kindle Fire HD 7" and Google Nexus 7" tablets
- Basic Features Comparison Table for iPad mini, Google Nexus 7", Kindle Fire HD 7"
- Step-by-step guide for installing a working Adobe Flash player when needed.
- KFHD Tips - Flash video, Using the camera and Video, Panorama mode, App for WiFi file transfers w/o cable.
Check often: Temporarily-free recently published Kindle books Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources. Top 100 free bestsellers. Liked-books under $1 UK-Only: recently published free books, bestsellers, or £5 Max ones Also, UK customers should see the UK store's Top 100 free bestsellers. *Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE. Or click on the web browser's BACK button Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!