KINDLE FIRE UPDATE v7.2.1 is here, and it automatically downloads and installs for most Kindle Fire customers
For those who don't want to wait, you can *start* the update from your Kindle Fire HD (see below for how to do that).
For those who prefer to do it manually via USB, the update file has been placed on the Amazon servers.
The update includes (1) the Kindle FreeTime feature; (2) a requested setting to opt in or out of personalized recommendations below the carousel on the Home page; and (3) the ability to set the default device language to one of six languages.
Here's the Amazon explanation as it appears at the update page:
' The software update will include:
- Kindle FreeTime, a tablet experience just for kids allowing parents to set daily screen time limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child.
- A setting so customers can control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage.
- Ability for customers to set the default device language to one of six languages, including English (US), English (UK), German, French, Italian, and Spanish.
Download Version 7.2.1
This update automatically downloads and installs for most Kindle Fire customers; however, you can initiate the software update from your Kindle or manually download the software update via USB.
Before you begin, confirm your current software version:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap More.
- Tap Device, and then tap About.
If you see a System Version other than "Current Version: 7.2.1," follow one of the steps below to download the latest version:
To start the automatic download of a Kindle software update:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network and fully charge your battery.
- From the top of your device, swipe down, then tap Sync.
- The software update automatically downloads in the background and installs after the download is complete and the device is asleep. '
The instructions for manually downloading the update via USB are at that software update page but, as mentioned, most will find it more convenient to have it arrive via the automated download.
NOTE that when it does, your Kindle Fire HD ("KFHD") will reboot and sometimes it does that twice, so don't be alarmed when it happens while it's idle and you're nearby.
EARLIER posts on Kindle Fire HD
- Comparison reviews of the Kindle Fire HD 7" and Google Nexus 7" tablets
- Basic Features Comparison Table for iPad mini, Google Nexus 7", Kindle Fire HD 7"
- Step-by-step guide for installing a working Adobe Flash player when needed.
- KFHD Tips - Flash video, Using the camera and Video, Panorama mode, App for WiFi file transfers w/o cable.
Check often: Temporarily-free recently published Kindle books Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources. Top 100 free bestsellers. Liked-books under $1 UK-Only: recently published free books, bestsellers, or £5 Max ones Also, UK customers should see the UK store's Top 100 free bestsellers. *Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE. Or click on the web browser's BACK button Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!