This is for the physical-keyboard model (Kindle 3 U.S. [UK: K3]) first released August 2010 and NOT for the later Kindle touch devices nor for the Kindle Basic NO-Touch/No-Keyboard (which gets its own updates)
This update for older Kindle Keyboard models includes the following changes, which I'll just plop here from the Amazon page (Italics for emphasis, mine).
Amazon's info page for the v3.4 software update. (Link: bit.ly/kv3-4 )
(Update page in UK (Link: bit.ly/kv3-4-uk )
Software Update Version 3.4Version 3.4 is a brand new, free software update for Kindle Keyboard that includes:
- Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
- Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
- Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.
- Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).
- Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
- Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.
The Kindle Forum version states that "The software update will be delivered automatically via wireless to your Kindle in the coming weeks" if you haven't already downloaded it this way.
More from the Kindle Keyboard software update page - Downloading Version 3.4
You can download the latest version at the update page. ( Update page in UK
The page shows you how to tell what version you have and then what to do based on that version, if you want to download the update and install it rather than wait for it to be delivered 'over the air.'
Please feel free to ask or give your own personal experiences or info learned that will help (as usual - and thanks for the valuable input).
BIG thanks to Tom Semple for the heads-up
Check often: Temporarily-free recently published Kindle books
Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources. Top 100 free bestsellers. Liked-books under $1
UK-Only: recently published free books, bestsellers, or £5 Max ones
Also, UK customers should see the UK store's Top 100 free bestsellers.
*Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE. Or click on the web browser's BACK button
Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.
(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!